glyph 562: Anglosphere, Commonwealth Union (CU), Federation, European Union (EU) . British exit from EU (Brexit) . James (Jim) C. Bennett: Frequently Asked Questions about the Commonwealth Union . Canada, Austalia, New Zealand, future of CANZUK nations . Crown Realms . Realm Union . 19th century British Federationists
The Commonwealth Union: Britain, Australia, Canada, New Zealand
FAQ: A Reference Design, by James C. Bennett
The current FAQ is version 1.0, published May 23, 2016
Bennett's introductory paragraph:
Quietly, beneath the radar, a new idea is gathering interest and support in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the smaller Realms over which Queen Elizabeth still reigns. It is the idea that these four nations, and eventually others in the Commonwealth, should form a new federation with free trade, free movement of people, a mutual defence guarantee and combined military capabilities where appropriate, and a limited but effective confederal entity carrying out infrastructure and other mutual development projects currently beyond the ability or willingness of any individual Realm to carry out. Once dismissed as a nostalgic reprise of Empire, or an impractical fantasy, more and more people are realising that in the era of the Internet and cheap global air travel, common language, law, history, and traditions of government count for more than geographical proximity. This FAQ presents one 'reference design' of what such a Union could look like, as a basis for discussion. Others are possible. I am currently writing several books, non-fiction and fiction, based on this concept and its possibilities for the future. This will serve as an introduction to those works. If you find this interesting, I invite you to explore and follow further.
- What is the Commonwealth Union?
- How does this relate to the Commonwealth of Nations?
- Why bother doing this?
- I like being a Brit (or English, or Canadian, or Australian, or Kiwi) perfectly well, thank you. Do I stop being one if this happens? What will I be, then?
- How will my life be different as a result of this?
- Will the Commonwealth Union be compatible with British membership in the European Union?
- Why will Britain want to join such a Commonwealth Union, after just having left the constraints of the European Union?
- Why will Canada join a Commonwealth Union?
- Why will Australia join such a Union?
- Why will New Zealand join such a Union?
- Who else might join the Commonwealth Union?
- Will the large, non-CANZUK Crown Realms be part of the Commonwealth Union?
- Will the Commonwealth Union make use of 'Charter Cities'?
- Will countries that are not currently Crown Realms be able to join the Commonwealth Union?
- Isn't this just re-assembling the British Empire?
- Is the Commonwealth Union a completely new idea?
- Wouldn't the Commonwealth Union just be a 'White Man's Club'?
- Is Commonwealth Union compatible with Canadian membership in the North American Free Trade Agreement and British membership in the European Economic Area?
- Will the Commonwealth Union accede to the rights and benefits of defence treaties, like NATO and NORAD?
- Will there be a Union Constitution?
- Will there be a Commonwealth Union parliament and prime minister?
- Is a Commonwealth Union government necessary to create full free trade among its members?
- Will there be a Commonwealth Union court system?
- Will there be a Commonwealth Union police service?
- Where will the Commonwealth Union's capital be?
- Will the Commonwealth Union use a common currency?
- How will the Commonwealth Union be financed?
- Will there be Commonwealth Union armed forces?
- Who will be the Commonwealth Union's Head of State?
- Will the Commonwealth Union be a nuclear power?
- Will the Commonwealth Union assume the foreign relations responsibilities of the member nations?
- How will free movement of people be facilitated within the Union?
- How will trade and commerce be facilitated within the Union?
- Could Scotland or other political units join the Commonwealth Union directly?
- What about other kinds of political units, such as Canadian or Australian aboriginal populations?
- What about the USA?
- Why should the Union be introduced as a full state entity at an early moment, rather than gradually take on more characteristics of a state, in the manner of the European Union?
- How can such a Union be forged, and what role does a Grand Bargain play in its formation?
The Commonwealth Union FAQ is here:
A link to the FAQ and other information will be found on the Facebook page for the Anglosphere, featuring posts from James C. Bennett, Iain Murray and others:
"Brexit and Beyond: Why Americans Should Support British Exit From the European Union, and What Could Come Next", by James C. Bennett, April 2016:
a list of all glyphs
May 23, 2016; edited/updated May 28, 2016